Frequently Asked Questions



All contractors working in the railway must pass a health assessment to confirm they are fit to do such work. Medicals are only accepted if they are performed by an Authorised Practitioner. Please see link below to find the nearest practitioner near you. Alternatively, we have an Authorised Medical Centre located directly below us for your needs.

Medicals are split into 3 categories determined by the responsibilities of your work:

Category 1 (persons undertaking a safety critical role where a sudden medical event or incapacity will result in a serious incident) medicals include:

  • Medical Examination
  • Resting ECG
  • Fasting Blood Glucose
  • Full Lipid Profile
  • Audiometry Test
  • Vision Test
  • Cardiac Risk Score
  • Medical Questionnaires
  • Drug and Alcohol Test

This is needed for speciality courses including Safeworking (Protection Officer 1 and 2) TMO and TVO courses


Category 2 (persons undertaking a safety critical role where a sudden medical event or incapacity will not result in a serious incident) medicals include:

  • Medical Examination
  • Audiometry/Hearing Test
  • Vision Test
  • Medical Questionnaires
  • Drug and Alcohol Tests


Category 3 (persons undertaking a non-safety critical role) medicals include:

  • Medical Examination
  • Audiometry/Hearing Test
  • Vision Test
  • Medical Questionnaires
  • Drug and Alcohol Tests

This is needed for the RIW course.

Once you have been deemed competent in both the RIW course and Cat 3 Medical, you must upload all your documents to Pegasus to get a Rail Industry Worker (RIW) card. The steps can be found at or down below.

Please note, an individual must be associated to a company or hold their own ABN as a sole trader to able to apply for a Rail Industry Worker Card.

Complete in order:

  1. Click on the above link and "register now".
  2. Register your company's/own ABN details and your company/you will receive login details. A profile can then be made for each employee.
  3. Once registered, please upload all relevant qualifications (this includes Statement of Attainments, licences, certificates, cards or other competencies for that individual).
    Documents should be in PDF or JPG.
  4. Payment must then be made. This can be done online via Visa or MasterCard. However, accounts can be established for larger companies.
  5. After payment has been made, an individual booking form for each employee will be emailed to the company/you.
  6. The employee must take this booking form AND 100 points of identification to an Australian Post Outlet (cannot be agency). Australia Post will confirm your identity and take a photo for the RIW card.
  7. Provided everything has been accepted, your card should arrive in 5 to 10 working days.

The link to find a post office outlet is:


If your RIW card has been lost or stolen, you must apply for a new card via the RailSafe portal via the link below with a cost of $30 plus GST required by RailSafe.


White Card:

If your White Card has been lost or stolen, please contact Southern Cross Rail Training and complete a Statutory Declaration to advise this. Once we have received this, we will send out a new card via the post.


Statement of Attainment

Clients who require reprints of 'Statements of Attainment' after the course has been completed and originals have been issued, will be charged an admin fee of $50 per Statement of Attainment. To provide this service please call our office to organise on 9708 5980.

Primary Documents Document
70 points Birth certificate.
Birth card issued by the New South Wales Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Citizenship certificate.
Current passport.
Expired passport which has not been cancelled and was current within the preceding two years.
Other document of identity having the same characteristics as a passport including diplomatic documents and some documents issued to refugees.
Secondary Documents Document
40 points

Document must have photograph and name.

Driver licence issued by an Australian State or Territory.
Roads and Maritime Services (RTA) photo card.
Licence or permit issued under a law of the Commonweath, a State or Territory Government - (eg: boat licence).
Identification card issued to a public employee.
Identification card issued by the Commonweath, a State and Territory Government as evidence of the person's entitlement to a financial benefit.
An identification card issued to a student at a tertiary education institution.

35 points

Document must have name and address.

A document held by a cash dealer giving security over your property.
A mortgage or other instrument of security held by a financial body.
Council rates notice.
Document from your current employer or previous employer within the last two years.
Land Titles Office record.
Document from the Credit Reference Association of Australia.

25 points

Document must have name and signature.

Marriage certificate (for maiden name only).
Credit Card.
Foreign driver licence
Medicare card (signature not required on medicare)

25 points

Document must have name and address

Records of a public utility - phone, water, gas or electricity bill.
Records of a financial institution.
Electoral roll compiled by the Australian Electoral Commission and available for public scrutiny.
A record held under a law other than a law relating to land titles.
Lease/rent agreement.
Rent receipt from a licenced real estate agent.

25 points

Document must have name and date of birth

Record of a primary, secondary or tertiary education institution attended by you within the last 10 years.
Record of professional or trade association of which you are a member.